Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Post Numero Uno

Welcome to the Fayre Tales blog!

Wow, my first blog! isn't that super duper fantastico!

Hey doods I'm writing a book, but it's not out yet so I'm gonna bug you about it every week or so until it, like, is out, yeah...


Is there an un-corny way to start this?

My husband's advise: You're the writer.

Thanks dear.


Here goes...

Fayre Tales is my first book, my first trilogy actually. O.K. insert elevator pitch here:

Fayre Tales is about two societies, Inches, who are forced to live underground by an evil dictator, and Faeries, who don't believe in the existence of Inches. When Fayre (an Inche) is born in a Faery village events are put in motion that may cause the two societies to collide... again.

Ooh! Are you interested yet? Still working on the elevator pitch.

Here's some more about me: I only ever wanted to write one book, I had never even entertained the idea of being an author full time. Someone should have warned me that just like potato chips you can't have just one book. Guess I probably wouldn't have listened though.

At the moment I am about half way through the first draft of book two and continuing work on editing book one. Like many writers before me I am discovering the thrill of getting to know the characters I am writing about. Even with a basic outline to work from it is so exciting to get to see what's just around the next bend in the road, the next page in the book, it's both exhilarating and terrifying!

My goal here is to update about once a week or so with insights into my writing process and maybe an occasional excerpt from one of the books. Speaking of excerpts, here's one to get you started:

     Gran was busy making plans of her own, she stopped to visit Jolly. He shouldn't be too hard to convince, she would just need to make it seem like it was his idea. Of course that's not an extremely difficult thing for a female of any species, but she didn't want the council to know that she had any involvement in it or they might forbid him to go.
     Jolly was sitting on the front porch dangling his pudgy feet over the edge, “Hi, Gran, it's a lovely evening, isn't it.”
     “I'm sorry to say, I hadn't really noticed, Jolly.” She said sighing.
     “Come sit, Gran, tell me what's the matter,” Jolly was always such a nice kid, thought Gran with a smile. She sat down next to him dangling her feet too.
     “Fayre came back today,” Jolly looked at her with surprise and couldn't hide the smile on his face, “She said she found something, she's determined to go and search for her people.”
     “Her people?” Jolly asked surprised, “then she's not a Faery after all?”
     “No, Jolly, she's not,” she paused and sighed, “I have to say I'm worried about her.” Well, she wasn't lying. Hopefully he'd catch the bait.
     “She's going by herself?” he looked worried, good, “but that's dangerous, she can't go by herself!”
     “There's nothing I can do, Jolly.” Gran tried not to look at him, it was working well. Who knew old Gran Melia could be so devious! She tried not to laugh out loud.

3 comments:

Togotooner said...

Charly,

Looking great! Keep up the writing!!!
I see that writing is now one of your many talents!!! Say hi to Danny for me...

take care,

Todd

Debbie said...

Hi Charly,

You know how I feel about your writing...it's great!! Looking forward to more. Keep up the good work, or should I say-writing!

Love ya! Debbie

Charly said...

Hey Thanks Guys!