Monday, February 9, 2009

Buying Books! Yay!

Our tax return came on Friday so we just couldn't resist going to Barnes & Nobles on Saturday. It feels so good to buy books! I came home with four: Stardust, by Neil Gaiman; Good Omens, by Terry Prachett and Neil Gaiman; Anthem, by Ayn Rand; and Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.

So far I've read Stardust and Anthem and I have just started on Good Omens. I don't like bashing other authors, but Stardust left me disappointed. The story had promise but it felt sloppy and unfinished.

Anthem, on the other hand, was intriguing. It gets kind of confusing since all but the last two chapters are written in first person but only referring to the self as "we." This makes sense if you read the story. In it "I" does not exist, there is no self only the collective. It's a lot like the Borg collective. Wait, maybe it is the Borg collective.

Well, resistance is futile, whether you agree with it or not Anthem gets you thinking and I love that.

What are your favorite books? (I'm sure it must be impossible to just have one favorite book!)

No comments: